Followers

Thursday 4 February 2010

death is the essential condition of life

So I guess I should start uploading some of my work. Recently, we were set a project with the title 'Life & Death'. Being a fine artist, I predictably went for a more morbid approach. I started looking at the idea of remembrance and, inspired by Christian Boltanski and Ed Kienholz, decided to create a shrine. The final result was this lightbox, created using photographs of my grandparents' sentimental possessions. The shape of the old suitcase reminds me of a coffin and i feel that this is reinforced by the royal colours and precious materials that i have used.




I am currently developing the project; my plan is to create miniature light boxes by putting LED's in matchboxes. Each matchbox will have a tiny acetate photo in it. So far I have 20 boxes - there is something really beautiful about a mass of objects (proven by Christian Boltanski's installations.) I'll keep you updated on that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment